Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Owl Wisdom



I will tell you something that I do NOT like about the Autumn: political ads. Elections in November bring with them the negative campaign. Being informed and educated about the issues and the candidates is our duty as voting citizens. But must we deal with these "slings and arrows" of outrageous mud-slinging, spiteful back-stabbing, condescending, disdainful mutterings.........oh, I do go on! You get my point I am sure. I do not enjoy the long phone messages on my answering machine from the candidates, or their supporters. I am appalled by the wastefulness of reams of slick campaign notices arriving in my mailbox. And I just grow tired of their never-ending "he said, she said, they said" that continues ad nauseum.

I came across this poem as I perusing an anthology of poetry and I think it sums up nicely my thoughts on this subject.


A Wise Old Owl

A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke,
The less he spoke the more he heard:
Why can't we all be like that bird?
~~Author Unknown
(from A Treasury Of Poems compiled by Sarah Anne Stuart)


One last word: Do vote, and do be informed.

No comments: