Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Happy Post--Skaneateles, NY Lavender Farm

Our daughter Raethan and her sweet husband came for a quick visit on Saturday. She and her brother, Nicarus put me in the car and whooshed me away 35 miles through country scenery filled with vineyards, farmland and scenic views to the Lockwood Lavender Farm in the Finger Lakes region. Outside of the village of Skaneateles (pronounced Skinny Atlas) this beautiful spot has been owned by the Lockwood family for 5 generations, where they raise sheep, harvest honey and grow beautiful lavender plants. Click on the photos for a better look.

The farm grows five varieties of lavender


Nicarus and Raethan, my darling kids

Picking lavender

There is a honey bee in this picture

I brought home this beautiful linen tea towel

My bouquet of lavender in the sweet vase the kids got for me
We bought honey too, made by the farm's bees who spend their days visiting the fragrant lavender plants. It is delicious. The gift shop was absolutely charming offering lavender soap, lotion, bouquets, books and other lavender products handmade on the farm.

A delightful morning.  Lavender is an herb of purification and protection. It has many uses and I know I will be returning time and again to the Lockwood Lavender Farm. Here is Lavender Farm's blog site if you would like to learn more. Lockwood Lavender Farm blog

Skaneateles Lake through the trees, looking over clumps of gorgeous lavender

11 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

with as much time as i have spent in skaneatles, how could i have missed this place? i really have to go there. i love this area so much! i also need to harvest my own lavender! great looking kids with wonderful names!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a fun day! And yes, I see the bee! I would never have gotten Skinny Atlas out of that name though, so it's a good thing you told us!

mxtodis123 said...

Oh what a beautiful place to visit. Lavender is one of my favorite herbs.
Mary

mxtodis123 said...

I have to add, look how nosey your little kitty is. Our feline friends just have to investigate anything new in the house. It's in their blood, I guess. They are getting so, so big.
Mary

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely trip to a most enchanting place! Wish I could see it, that area is so beautiful this time of year.

The Boston Lady said...

Beautiful. I love lavender, so soothing. What a great day with your kids, a total rejuvenation! Ann

Elaine said...

Wow, what a fabulous day you had! I love lavender and lavender farms!
There's one on Cape Cod and the lavender blooms around mid July. I hope to make a trip soon.

Nice of your children to plan such a fun day for you.

Sandy Sandy Art said...

I LOVE LAVENDER. A beautiful birthday celebration for a lovely lady. Isn't it your birthday today (July 1st)? :-D HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK MY FRIEND!! xoxo Sandy and the kitties

Magic Love Crow said...

Oh, I want to go!!! What a beautiful day, at such a special spot! I love lavender!! I have to get a new plant! Mine passed away!!! I went to the Farm's blog and they showed how to make a lavender wand! That was cool! Would love to try to make it! Enjoy your lavender, and vase, and all the other goodies ;o) You have great kids! Big Hugs ;o)

Ronna said...

My sis lives in Ithaca and has mentioned Sinnuatlas many times. Very cool!! Love your blog BTW!

Jeanne said...

I love lavender! I've always dreamed of having a lavender farm.
How fortunate for you to visit this wonderful place. :0)