Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Beloved Mother

Two weeks ago I received word from my brother in Virginia that our mother was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and other illnesses. A week passed and she improved a bit. Then within a few days her condition worsened. This past Sunday (Jan 22) my son Nick and I left for Virginia from Syracuse NY and drove as fast as we could the 500 miles to the Shenandoah Valley area where my brother and mother reside. My brother that lives with me was desperate to go with us, but is unable to travel as he is still recovering from his stroke. My husband has stayed in Syracuse to be with my brother.

My mother was conscious and fairly alert when we arrived at the hospital late that Sunday evening. She greeted me with a big smile and softly said my name. We embraced as best we could around all the wires and tubes and machines. Later that night, her condition worsened.  She was placed on palliative care, and for a little over 24 hours she lay unconscious and unresponsive. My daughter and my best friend were traveling to us, and finally arrived. That night, two of my brothers, my son and daughter, our dear family friend and I stayed up tending our vigil.

At 6:00 am the following morning, Jan 25th, everyone, except Nick and me, went up for coffee and breakfast. While they were gone, my beloved mother passed away with me holding her hand. Quietly, calmly and with no pain, she left us.

My mother was 96 and beloved by everyone who knew her. Despite many difficulties in her last years, she always maintained a bright and loving spirit. She was a gracious and delightful woman, and a remarkable mom. In the late spring when early roses are blooming, we will place her ashes in a beautiful place and have a simple memorial service with the close family and friends that made up her circle of love.

I am devastated and drained, but I know my mom is happy and free of pain now. We will celebrate her life and then do our best to honor her in the way we live our lives. My beloved mother, how I love you!

18 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Sending you my love and sympathy Robin.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your mothers passing, its a blessing she went so softly.
96 is a wonderful long age to reach, she must have been a wealth of stories and information, you will always have her with you in your heart, my condolences to you and your family.

mxtodis123 said...

Oh Robin, my heart goes out to you and your family. I know how it is to lose your mom. She sounds like a remarkable woman. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
Mary

Danni said...

Oh dearest Robin, I am so sorry for your loss. May your mother find joy and peace in being pain free. I will be keeping you all in my prayers and thoughts, if you should need anything at all I'm here for you. Many blessings to you and your family and so much love during this difficult time.

Lady Caer Morganna said...

Robin, I am so sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences to you and your entire family. It is true that she will no longer have to endure any more pain and she may finally be at peace. I often think about my dad and how much pain he suffers almost every day and, although I certainly do not wish to lose him, it is very hard to see our loved ones suffer in any way.

I think the private service you are going to have for her will be beautiful!

Hugs to you, my dear friend ~

Kim

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Deepest condolences to you and your family, Robin. How beautiful that she could feel the touch and warmth of your hand as she left this life. May you find comfort and heart's ease in your memories and your love for her.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Robin, I am so sorry for your loss and offer my sympathy to your entire family. Your Mom sounds like a lovely and remarkable woman. It doesn't matter how old we are when our Mom passes, we are left shaken and at a loss. I will of course light a candle for you and for your Mothers passage to the place with no pain and suffering.
Blessings dear one, Oma Linda

Jeanne said...

Robin, My heart goes out to you! Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. May you find the peace that I know your Mother would want you to have. ♥

Alexis Kennedy said...

Oh honey.. you have my deepest love and sympathy right now. ((((((Robin))))

Magic Love Crow said...

My friend, I am so sorry! My prayers go out to you and your family! 96, bless your mother's heart! I am happy she went with no pain and I am glad you were there holding her hand.
The service you are planning to have in the late spring, will be beautiful and I know your mom will be smiling.
Big Hugs and Lots Of Love, Stacy

The Traveler said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our family sends you positive thoughts and energy.
I hope you receive all the blessings you need to help you all get through this time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to read that Your mother has passed away.
My deepest condolences to You and Your family!

Christer.

Janey McK said...

Robin, I am so sorry. Sending all my love and thoughts your way.

Julie said...

I am so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear mother. I am glad you got to have her with you for so long. It has already been 24 years since my mom passed and my sister and I still miss our mama. No matter how old you are, when your mother dies you are an orphan. I am glad there are so many people who could be with you.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

I'm crying...........
I understand, and so grateful for this post and that you got to be with your beloved mom
xx

Nichola said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Deepest sympathy to you and yours.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

So sorry to read of your mother's passing. 96, that's really incredible. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh Robin, my beautiful friend...I am so sorry for your loss. Please know you are in my heart and my thoughts are with you. Take care sweetie.