Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Comfort

A good word to meditate on this week is "Comfort". Either as a verb or a noun. The verb: To comfort someone in distress or need. Examples: The commuters in Chicago who were slammed with a major snowstorm and stuck for hours on a highway that should have been closed. The people in Australia dealing with a powerful cyclone, after weeks of flooding rains. In Egypt, the violence and unrest, the warring factions...there are so many experience fear and anger. These are just three examples, there are thousands more.

The noun: The feeling one receives from something that soothes. A cup of hot chocolate after time spent in frigid snowy weather. Hugs from a loved one. Delicious, home-cooked meals. Memories.

If you can comfort someone, whatever the situation, you contribute to the flow of positive loving energy that the world needs.  Finding comfort brings positive loving energy to you. Feel free to give comfort, and to receive it.

http://0.tqn.com/d/graphicssoft

6 comments:

Alexis Kennedy said...

Beautifully said, Robin!! THIS was my comfort today, thank you!

Aine O'Brien said...

Oh yes, to comfort is the ultimate in kindness. In my opinion of course. When I get discouraged with society today it is because I feel that we are not engaged with each other anymore and we do not offer comfort - a thing that should come from other humans, but often comes now through "things" (this notion is highly encouraged by marketers...) No one can comfort you like another. It is such a gift.

Anonymous said...

So true! Beautiful written!

Christer.

Danni said...

Beautiful. With all of the unrest in the world at present, comfort is something we could all stand to give and receive a bit more of.

I agree with Aine, we need to go back to a point of human comfort and not comfort through stuff. As someone who used to comfort myself through shopping and food, I can tell you there's nothing like the comfort of a friend, a loved one, even a stranger.

Rue said...

A very good word to focus on! I try to find a small comfort daily - just to remove myself from the craziness in the world around me.

Strell said...

You give me comfort in many ways, my friend.