Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wiccan Bakes--Apple Crisp

My recipe box

What shall I make today?

I really need to re-write this recipe, it's been made a lot
Mom's Apple Crisp.  The best. My mom made this for us when I was growing up, and I have made it for my family since the kids were little. Most recipes for apple crisp that I see in cookbooks use oatmeal. This one does not, and is not as chewy as oatmeal can be sometimes. It is soooo delicious.

For a 13 x 9 baking dish, you will need approximately 6-8 apples. I use a mix of apples usually. This time I peeled Red Delicious and Granny Smith. I tripled this recipe as I was making an extra batch for my friend "Dee" and her husband. Here is the recipe for the single batch.

6-8 apples peeled and sliced
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, softened

Peeled apples in a bowl of cold water with a bit of lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
While I am peeling apples, I place the peeled apples in bowl of water with lemon juice to slow down the browning that happens after the apple is peeled. After I used the lemon, I squeezed some into my kitchen drain to purify and cleanse this portal...to keep negative energy from flowing into the house. Afterwards, I just put the lemon down the garbage disposal for a nice fresh sink.  The aroma of the lemon made me think of summer, wistfully. After I came out of my reverie, I continued with the recipe!!!

The "crisp" part of the recipe

Mix together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Add the softened butter and combine. This will create a nice crumbly mixture.


Place the sliced apples into your baking dish. Try to have uniform slices for even baking.


Spread the crumbly crisp mixture over the top of the apples.
Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 to 45 minutes. The apple crisp should be bubbling, and there should be a nice golden brown look to it. Pierce the apples to make sure they are cooked (should be soft). Baking times depend on size of apples, type of apples.


The baked apple crisp


Serve warm, maybe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Also great cold for breakfast.
Yum. (Store covered in the fridge).

8 comments:

Rae said...

One of my very favorites!! I want some now. And you can't rewrite the recipe, that's how it's been for so long, it's part of the personality of the dish, haha.

Strell said...

Delicious, thanks, Robin. We so enjoyed our special treat and for breakfast, can't think of anything better with coffee. I agree, don't touch the recipe, too special with lots of memories. On an almost zero temperature morning, its a warming feeling to have a friend like you.
Off to get some lemons, I need Spring. XO

Jeanne said...

Yummy!!! Apple crisp is a fav around here. :0)
Cold for breakfast - very good .... but just don't tell my kids ....
Thanx for sharing! :0)

mxtodis123 said...

Oh, apple crisp...one of my absolute favorites. Funny, I cannot stand to eat apples, but absolutely love anything made with them. For figure! Thanks for the great recipe.
Mary

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Apple crisp is a family fav here and my recipe card looks alot like yours......well loved and used. The Olde Bagg, Linda

Anonymous said...

The best recipes in my recipe book are those that are worn out looking from all those times I've made them.

This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, they look great! I totally love apples - thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!!

Blessings,
Kim

Anonymous said...

This is sooo delicious!
I usually cut the apple pieces smaller and mix it with the dough, but otherwise it´s just the same. I love it with custard though :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.