Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Wiccan Reads--The Legend of Eli Monpress

Actually the post title should be: Wiccan Readings, as I have just started this book by Rachel Aaron. The Legend of Eli Monpress is a volume comprising three novels; "The Spirit Thief", "The Spirit Rebellion" and "The Spirit Eater". The main character, Eli Monpress is a thief and a wizard. The back cover states that this is "a tale of high adventure, romance and larceny."  It looks to be a fun read. I wanted to share a line from the book which immediately convinced me to jump into the pages.:

From Chapter 1, first page: (Eli Monpress is trying to wake up a door, a heavy oak door with an iron frame)

     "He ran his hands over it, long fingers gently tapping in a way living trees find desperately annoying, but dead wood finds soothing, like a scratch behind the ears. At last, the boards gave a little shudder and said, in a dusty, splintery voice, "What do you want?"

I absolutely loved the whimsy and wonder of these two sentences and knew I had to read on. I will let you know how it's going when I finish the first book in this collection.


The Legend of Eli Monpress  by Rachel Aaron, published by Orbit, Hachette Book Group, 237 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017.  Compilation Copyright 2012 by Rachel Aaron.

As to another book series that I read in 2011, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, the second season of the HBO production of the books begins Sunday, April 1st at 9:00 pm (edt). Set those recorders now.



Always looking for new fiction books and authors, predominantly in the magickal, fantastical realm, Arthurian, witchy themes and ghostly subjects. I read a lot of non-fiction too, dealing with Wicca, Witchcraft and magickal practices. If you have recommendations, please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin, I can see why you were attracted to the these books. I have picked up many books, fiction and non, that I bought because of just a few lines that caught my interests!!! I love going to used book stores. The aroma and atmosphere help to encourage me to buy books...as if any is needed :D I love Gothic Romance and to me Dorothy Daniels, Victoria Holt and Barbara Michaels are some of the best writers for this!!! Give me a good book, a fire in the fireplace, a throw, a thunderstorm, burning incense and a cup of herbal tea, and I'm in my element completely!!!

Blessings My Friend and Hugs~~~

Jan

Jeanne said...

However do you find all these interesting books? I have now added another interesting book to my reading list. :0)

Robin Larkspur said...

Jan, I adore Barbara Michaels and have read all of her books. My favorite, I think, is "Ami Come Home".Love the scene you have set for a great reading atmosphere.

Jeanne, I am always on the prowl for books, either online, or in book stores. The hunt is the thing!!

Anonymous said...

Robin, She is great!!! My very favorite of her books is "WITCH"!!! I have read it again and again :) Sure wish I had a thunderstorm...I want to read it right now :)

Anonymous said...

They are showing the first season of Games of Thrones here, but late at night on a work day so I can't see it. To bad I've heard it's good. I'll better start looking for the books instead.

Have a great day!
Christer.

Robin Larkspur said...

Christer, that's too bad about not being able to see Game of Thrones. There are five books in the series so far, and they are all massive. They are definitely not a quick read, but still good.

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Just added "Game of Thrones" to our Netflix Queue. They must be very popular 'cause it said "very long wait". Thanks for the review! :-D

Magic Love Crow said...

Oh, these books sound fantastic!!! Yes, Game of Thrones is on tonight! So happy ;o) And, my fingers are clean, I am reaching for a piece of pumpkin cheesecake ;o) I think I will eat it while watching t.v tonight ;oO

Lady Caer Morganna said...

We are temporaily getting HBO and just started watching "Game of Thrones." I am hooked!

This is definately my kind of series!

Blessings,

Kim

Alexis Kennedy said...

Great review, Robin! Thanks for sharing with us! Eagerly awaiting Game of Thrones tonight! Hugs and blessings!

SharleneT said...

Hey, Robin, I'm going to have to get the book series on my Kindle because I just can't get into the series on TV. Don't know why but it does nothing for me. That's why I know the books are gonna be great. It's been a hard focusing Spring and we've had the darndest weather. So glad that your hubby won't need surgery. Maybe, things will calm down for you, now. HUGS for all you've been through.