Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Monday, October 1, 2012

Merry Meet, October!

The golden month of October has finally arrived. In some ways, it seemed to take longer than usual to get here. A hot-hot, dry-dry summer caused the days and weeks to drag and drag on. Of course, I think we would have been complaining if it had been a cooler, rainier summer too. A love-hate relationship with weather!

Anyhoo..the autumn is now upon us and the Wheel of the Year is turning to its final spoke of the annual cycle. Samhain (pronounced sow-wen; sow as in cow) is at the end of the month and Wiccans, pagans and all manner of witches love this season. There is a lot to prepare for, get excited about and to think about, both in physical terms and in spiritual terms. The blog-o-sphere will be bursting at the seams with parties, giveaways, crafty stuff and photos, videos and a whole lot more. It will be spook-tacular.

To celebrate today being the very first day of a very favorite month, I wish to present you with a most delectable cake recipe. It is called "Grandmother's Apple-Nut Cake" and it is an extremely old recipe. Unlike most apple recipes, this cake has no cinnamon or nutmeg or brown sugar.  It's simple, and simply sweet.

This recipe makes an 8" square cake, but can easily be doubled.

1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Combine egg, sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix well. Before you add the apples the mixture will appear dry.


Stir in apples and nuts. I used one granny smith apple and one gala apple. Any apple good for baking is perfect.





Chop the apples into tiny bits.

Spread in a greased pan. (8" square).

It might seem there is not enough batter, but just spread it to all sides. It will increase in size with baking.

Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 30 minutes. It will be golden, and toothpick inserted in center will come out clean.


This is what a perfectly baked side should look like.



This is delicious warm either plain, with ice cream, sour cream or whipped cream.

Please enjoy.


18 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Happy October to you my dearest BB. This is a perfect way to start off the month. We at Casa de Cuckoo will certainly be having this Grandmother's Apple Cake tonight after dinner.
We're gonna use it as celebration cake. To celebrate GK making it through a very scary, grown up day at school. I know she will do well and to that end.....we will celebrate with a dear friends recipe for cake.
XOXO Oma Linda

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Sounds delicious!

I should consider making it with G/F flour. :-)

"Auntie"

AkasaWolfSong said...

Happy October Dear Robin!!!

This recipe sounds so awesome I'm copying it down and going to make it, as I know everyone around here will love it! :) Too bad I just made a choco cake from scratch or I'd dive right in making this, lol.

Here's to October and all the wonderful things it brings! Have a superb week...

Much Love,
Akasa

Alexis Kennedy said...

Happy October, Robin!!! <3
This looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing!

Leanne said...

The apple cake sounds yum! I will try it in my new oven when it is connected. I think DH will like it very much.

Love Leanne

jaz@octoberfarm said...

great looking cake! happy happy october 1st!

Unknown said...

Ah I can smell the aroma and taste it in my memory! I'm going to have to make this cake this month.

Wendy S. said...

The recipe looks delicious! I'm looking forward to trying it out. Happy October to you :)

Jeanne said...

YUM! I do believe I know what I'm doing this afternoon. :0)
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

October up here is dark, gloomy and usually very wet so I can't say I like it especially much :-) :-) :-)

But I do like that cake :-) A must try this autumn!

Have a great day!
Christer.

OF SPRING AND SUMMER said...

Hi Robin,
Oh I have to try this one, looks very easy. Agree that autumn is a great season.
Ingrid xx

SharleneT said...

Guess what's going in the solar oven at Midtown Market, this weekend! I love this recipe. Thanks for sharing. Yummy.

Magic Love Crow said...

Happy October 1st my friend ;o) I will for sure be making this special recipe! I find it really interesting, because there is no cinnamon or nutmeg or brown sugar? Guess what?? I got a special gift today and I LOVE everything so much! That scarf is wicked!!! It sparkles! I think I will be wearing it for Samhain ;o) I love the bracelets too and the chocolates, lets just say, there isn't alot left! LOL! Mom had some too!! It wasn't all me! LOL! Big Hugs ;o)

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

That cake looks delightful! I for one am happy to see October...

Danni said...

Oh, Robin that cake looks so good and I think I have all of the ingredients already. I'm going to have to make some to for us to eat for breakfast in the morning.

Happy October!!

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Happy October! :-) This recipe sounds delicious.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Happy October, Robin luv! I'm all excited about what this month promises, and about that delicious treat you made.

Now, I want pie and it's 12:05 am *sigh*

Lili said...

Oh yum! This sure would taste pretty good with my cup of coffee right now. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! ~Lili