Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday, Out the Window

12 degrees F, at 6:30 am, and the sky is not light yet. Snowflakes, tiny at first, larger, fluffier by the second. Finally, to the east there is a slight lessening of dark. Soon the birdfeeders start filling up with small flitting movements, and hesitant chit chat. Seed hulls drift below, to the icy encrusted snow, to be gone over later by the mourning doves.



The old Yule tree, planted into the snow, slightly tilted, becomes the morning spot for the birds and their riotous kaffee-klatch. Mostly house sparrows, juncos and chickadees, soon joined by house finch, American gold finch, and the occasional dove. Fortunately, no sign of the hawk. The crows have done their duty, keeping the swooping thief away from the feeders.



No sign of a sunrise, other than the sky is a very light gray now. The snow is falling steadily. The birds continue their breakfast revelry and I step away from the window, on Friday to begin my own morning rituals.

9 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

What beautiful photos. Tis a cold winter this year, that's for sure.
Mary

SharleneT said...

Now, my knees hurt! Beautiful prose to beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing and I'm sending some heat thoughts your way!

Unknown said...

cute birdies! I notice you now 51 followers!

Alexis Kennedy said...

Wow, Robin.. how I love your writing style.. you always draw me in and leave me wanting more.. thank you so much for this inspirational blog!! Hugs!

Strell said...

I agree with the comments on our writing style as I have mentioned many times. You have a way and photos to match. This is indeed an intense winter. Maybe I'll see you in the Spring!!!!!!!

Snowy said...

LOVE the pics, Robin! And I second what Kallan says - your writing style leaves a reader wanting more!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! I wish we had doves out here in the forest during winter too, but not even the city doves comes out here during winter :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. The photographs and describing how you feel...simple and beautiful.

Jeanne said...

Great photos. Love the one of the dove.
My feeders have been FULL all week with the snow we have on the ground. But rain is in our forecast for tomorrow.
Bbbrrrr! Really cold there! Here's wishing you a clear sky and warm sunshine.