Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Your Suggestions, Please--What is This??

So the declutterfest is continuing and making progress!  But look what I found in a corner.



I got this last summer at the thrift store.  It is handmade, very nicely put together.  I thought it was something I could find a use for at home. It is too small to be a side table as demonstrated next.

Son nicarus employs "this" as a fast food holder

It is not easily carried around, as the top part is too wide to use as a handle. The three slots are curious to me. Was this meant as perhaps a sewing aid? Buttons and pins and whatnots on the top, sewing items on the bottom? I suppose it could be used as a magazine holder, but too large for the bathroom, too small for the living room. And again, what about those three little spaces on top?

Another view for your contemplation
Any suggestions as to what this might have originally been built for? Any ideas what I could use it for now? I may have to take it back to the thrift store if I can't figure out how I can make use of it..  Danged if I know.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would make a really cool altar. You could put stones, shells, statues in the 3 compartments on top and a nice altar cloth on the bottom with tarot cards...hell, anything else that strikes your fancy.

Very unique and full of coolness.

Jeanne said...

Not sure of the original use....but could be used in sewing/craft room or on buffet for dinner parties (indoors or out) - the top compartments could hold things like salt/pepper/condiments & bottom section could hold napkins/flatware. Could be used in the potting shed to corral small pots, tags for plants, twine, stakes. Or if you have a guest bedroom, you could put guest towels in th bottom and small toiletry samples in the top compartments.

goddessandmagick said...

It looks like a jewelery tool box( for making) you put beads on top and work in progress at the bottom.

Unknown said...

I agree, it would make a cool little meditation altar in a corner somewhere out of the way. Candles on either end with a pretty statue in the middle and whatever else you like to put on your altar on the bottom.

It's a fabulous piece so I hope you find a good use for it!

Blessed Be,
Tereza

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, the spaces on top do look like storage, and the bottom looks like it's designed to stop things falling off...

Anonymous said...

I have actually seen something similar before, but I just can´t remember what that thing was used for.

I think it had something to do with a special job and that the three slots had something to do with tools. I´ll tell You if I by accident would remember.

Have a great day now!
Christer.

SharleneT said...

As an altar or use it for holding potions, with the top three compartments using candles and a pot holding necessary potion items -- or, plants. Don't return it -- give us a few days to think of something! Paint it black! Come visit when you can.

Just posted on my other blog, Rockin' Chair Reflections, Are Bullies Any Different From Gossips? http://bit.ly/hWLEiN

Strell said...

I know what I'd use it for Robin, can you guess!!
Very interesting......

Unknown said...

I think it was made for sewing or knitting.