Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wiccan Rites---DeclutterFest

In my Sunday newspaper, the joyous news was proclaimed:  January is National Get Organized Month. Already? It seems that from October till about  three days ago, all I have done, is drag boxes out of the basement, decorate, re-decorate, put away, and decorate some more.  The last box has been heaved carefully placed back into its regular spot for the next 11 months, until we do it all over again.

So this January organizational thing: is it really a conspiracy to sell us all those lovely containers, tubs, baskets, shelving and other denizens of storage and display? Nevertheless, organization is a good thing, clutter is not. Especially if you are Wiccan.

Negativity is a bad thing. It hides in the corners, under rugs, filing itself away in all the stacked up mail, papers, books, lingering in the piles and teetering towers of the flotsam and jetsam of everyday life. Negative energy that is hovering in the house is one of the main causes of discomfort, restlessness, sadness, depression and these feelings can snowball into anger, unhappiness, arguments and more. 



Spellwork and rituals cannot work in a cluttered, disorganized, messy environment. Energies need clean lines and straight unobstructed paths to do their job. Sacred space requires a cleansed and consecrated atmosphere. The witch requires a rested and focused frame of mind. So housekeeping is an important practice, both physically and spiritually. There are times, though when clutter just gets out of hand, especially during these last three months of non-stop holiday activities.
 
Please don't feed the dust bunnies.  ~Author Unknown


Some people are just naturally neat and tidy. A place for everything, everything in its place. I am not one of these people.  I have to really work at it. It has been a drudgery. But now, as I incorporate my Wiccan practices into all aspects of my life, I find that I need and want to keep things organized. Changing my attitude, turning normal everyday routine activities into a spiritual practice makes life a lot smoother. I still have a ways to go to become "naturally" neat, but as they say, Rome wasn't  built in a day, and neither were these diehard habits of mine.

Now it is time to welcome the new year, take a deep breath and dive into the clutter and feel the positive energies flowing. And that is a good thing.

If you haven't already, enter my giveaway by leaving a comment.  The Giveaway ends Saturday, January 8th.

8 comments:

brandi said...

~before wee littles oh i was tidy if there was tidy...now we love to feed the dust bunnies...life is so short and i refuse to spend all my days cleaning...but what i struggle with always is the amount of "stuff" we have consumed and or have been given and where to put it all...a constant battle in my home of getting rid of stuff, my orgainizing seems to run all day everyday all year round!!! always trying to find a better solution, ya know! i wish you well on creating mindful spaces that remain tidy and useful!!! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Aine O'Brien said...

Ooh, lots of talk in blog land about negative energy. I don't like when things hide in my clutter. It is my clutter, after all. Geez. I am sort of neat, but not all the time, so I have to do regular organizing, clutter removal. Most of this is because I live in a condo and we don't have much spare room. But I guess that's a good thing because I like my "stuff."

Jeanne said...

Clutter is a never ending battle for many folks. I try to live with the rule - one item in, one item out. Works good for me. But Hubby is another story..... :0)

mxtodis123 said...

I've much to do to tidy up and organizing is the key. All was well and organized when my sons moved out. I had half their room for storage and the other half was my computer area. Now, my eldest has been back for awhile and everything is out of control. I'd been doing well sorting and getting rid of things until this snowstorm. Time to begin again. Great post.
Mary

Jess said...

I'm a staunch believer in 'a place for everything and everything in its place' but before you run for cover, let me tell you that many things in my house have yet to go to their own home! Feng Shui has the same principle doesn't it, especially hallways. My hallway is used as such a dumping area by the family I trip up nearly every time I come in through the front door. :) xx

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those irritating organized neat as a pin chicks. It has it's down side as well. I literally can not fall asleep at night if anything is out of place in my house. Since my son was born 7 years ago, I've loosened up IMMENSELY and don't consider his playroom or bedroom when doing my mental scan (I don't want to encourage this insanity in him, I prefer to let him tidy his room to his own specifications). Also, if I don't vacuum every day...I literally get a bellyache. OCD? Who me?

Unknown said...

I'm in the middle of this process also. I consider myself tidy. Unfortunately, I'm also lazy, and unmotivated! LOL! It's makes for a frustrating combination.

Danni said...

I'm a chronic mess maker with my art and cooking experiments and constantly trying to keep everything meticulous gives me stress headaches. I'm not sure why, but I've always been one of those people who feels that if my home isn't spotless and squeaky clean it makes me a crappy person. Obviously this and the work mess don't mix well.

I've been working on it though and while my house is never all that messy, I've learned to close the door at night and not stress the art mess. Plus, I do a large house clean up once a week and make hubby help. Keeps my stress down and the house tidy!