Merry Meet and Merry Part, and Merry Meet again

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Professor

This morning during my usual blog and coffee fest, I was reading Patti Wigington's blog http://paganwiccan.about.com/  and discovered with delight that today is JRR Tolkien's birthday. I do not know about anyone else, but for me, Tolkien's Hobbit life drew me in and allowed me to connect with the world of Faerie as I never thought I could. As a tiny child I loved dreaming of and talking to fairies and brownies, wishing I could meet an elf or a leprechaun. My imaginary world was full of all things fae.  When I found Tolkien in my teens, I was elated and enchanted.  And of course, Peter Jackson's movies were beautifully rendered, satisfactorily providing me with hours of giddy enjoyment (not to mention, I found Viggo Mortensen so very, very, well, Very. (even if he didnt portray an elf)!

Patti's blog directs us to a link for the Tolkien society:    http://www.tolkiensociety.org/toast/2011/

At 9:00 pm EST, I will be joining in to toast the Professor. A small thing perhaps, but it thrills me to do so.

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/assets/contributor/tolkien%24jrr_lres.gif


And tomorrow, Tuesday, January 4th, I will be announcing the first ever Giveaway here at Wiccan Writes. I am excited. I hope you will check it out.

4 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Love the new look here. Seems we all had the same idea.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Much the same here! I read and re-read those books during one summer vacation :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.

Elaine said...

I always enjoyed the Hobbit. Have a wonderful celebration.

Wizardess said...

I forgot about this! I'm writing it down so that I can celebrate it next year. Thanks!

And, someday, I will live in a delectable hobbit hole like Bag End.